Transitioning from being a couple to becoming parents is not easy. Partners find that the dynamics of their relationship changes significantly once they become parents. Their daily routine, individual roles, and responsibilities immediately shift.
Couples must understand these physical and emotional changes to cope with this new phase in their lives. I strongly recommend that couples living in the United Arab Emirates or abroad elsewhere do Family therapy and Couples therapy in Dubai to help them overcome parenthood challenges as a couple.
Changes In Parenthood
Couples go through several changes once they become parents. These changes impact the marriage. For instance, women find that their bodies take a different form and that they could become more stressed. Also, men usually find that their responsibilities, especially those that concern their finances, increase, making them more stressed.
They could both struggle with lack of sleep and increased daily chores, which can be exhausting. These changes and others related to becoming parents could threaten the quality of their relationship as a couple.
They could end up feeling too overwhelmed with their new roles that they forget the love that brought them together in the first place. The good news is that Marriage counseling in Dubai is key to giving couples tools to handle parenthood.
Tips for Overcoming Parenthood Challenges
Below are some tips for overcoming parenthood challenges that I strongly suggest for my couples who do couples therapy and marriage counseling with me online via zoom or in my office in Dubai:
- Divide chores and childcare between you as a couple.
- Be realistic about your expectations of each other.
- Choose compassion with one another.
- Offer help and support to your spouse when you feel they are overwhelmed.
- Be kind and use words of affirmation and affection with your partner.
- Make a to-do list of what tasks are required from both of you each day.
- Set a particular daily time for you together as a romantic couple to do activities or talk about anything not related to your child.
- Remember, you are one team now and always think in terms of the “we” mentality.
- Have fun together as a family and enjoy the journey of becoming parents.
- Actively pursue opportunities to be intimate and have sex.
- Ask for help and insight from family members, trusted friends, and experts.
Finally, it is essential to understand that the passage from being a couple to parents will be smoother with the help of an experienced and caring couples’ therapist. As a Marriage and Family Therapist, I work with couples to overcome the challenges of parenthood. I do this by guiding and providing them with key tools as well as teaching them new skills to handle the challenges of parenting.
Marriage counseling and Couples therapy are incredibly effective. So, if you are searching for a professional and a highly qualified marriage counselor and couple’s therapist that is an ICEEFT certified Emotionally Focused Couples Therapist (EFT) in Dubai, to help you navigate parenthood please reach out to me. I meet my clients face to face in my office in Dubai or do marriage and family counseling online.
If you feel like speaking to a Family and Couples Counselor and doing couples therapy at the convenience of your home, please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp me on 00971502369395.