While there may be no way that your marriage can be saved, marriage counseling does work to bring you back from the brink of divorce. Unfortunately, lots of couples give up easily and quickly on their marriage. As a Marriage and Family Therapist myself, I know that there is always light at the end of the tunnel in most cases. All it takes is for the couple to come to family counseling and to put effort into the process. Here are some ways that marriage counseling can help:
1) Marriage counseling is a safe and non-judgmental environment where couples can express themselves honestly and freely.
2) A couple’s therapist has the educational experience, highly qualified training, and professional background to give you the best tips and advice to overcome the most difficult couples’ problems.
3) A marriage counselor is an objective third party with no agenda other than to help you create connections.
4) Couples therapy helps you to learn new constructive ways of communicating.
5) You will save money by doing marriage counseling because the cost of divorce is much higher.
6) You will save yourselves and your kids from the heartache and problems that come with divorce by getting the guidance of a marriage counselor.
7) You will be much happier and healthier when you strengthen your relationship with your partner.
Here are three basic marriage-saving advice that I offer clients in couples’ therapy who are on the brink of divorce.
1) Choose Love
Couples need to remember that it takes two to tango. Therefore, if one partner is not making the right dance moves in the relationship, the other partner can either choose to leave the dance floor or stay and work together to get the steps right. Consequently, choosing to stay is choosing to love despite the mayhem, and this requires courage and taking risks. It might seem safer to quit but in reality, to love and have a deep connection is to risk.
2) Embrace Your Vulnerability
Understanding that vulnerability is the only way to have real intimacy is of utmost significance. Without couples being vulnerable with one another and revealing their softer sides, then they can never acquire the marriage that they dream of. Therefore, if you really want to save your marriage, you must express to your partner your deepest fears, feelings, and longings.
3) Ask for Your Unmet Needs
Couples usually come to family counseling on the brink of divorce because they have a lot of emotional and physical unmet needs that are either unspoken or spoken about in a way that increases friction between the couple. If that is the case, then this is the time to speak about what you need exactly from your partner in a way that would make you want to meet those needs. This means to ask without criticizing, blaming, judging, or bringing all the negative past experiences. Ask for what you need in the here and now.
On a final note, I am proud to state that I am the first and only ICEEFT certified EFT therapist in the United Arab Emirates and one of the leading pioneers of EFT in the Middle East region. I am also the only one fully based and practicing in the Arab world. Online counseling is really impactful, so if you feel like speaking to a Marriage Counselor and do couples therapy at the convenience of your home, please contact me at email@example.com or WhatsApp me on 00971502369395.